|January 12–14, 2007|
MANDARIN ORIENTAL HOTEL, MIAMI
Session 1—Towards a High Performance Health System: Public and Private Models of Excellence
Sister Mary Jean Ryan, Presentation
- S. C. Schoenbaum, K. Davis, and A. Holmgren, Health Care Spending: An Encouraging Sign?," The Commonwealth Fund, January 2007.
- D. Bergman, P. Plsek, and M. Saunders, A High-Performing System for Well-Child Care: A Vision for the Future, The Commonwealth Fund, October 2006.
- A. K. Gauthier, K. Davis, and S. C. Schoenbaum, Achieving a High Performance Health System: High Reliability Organizations Within a Broader Agenda, Health Services Research, August 2006 41(4p2):1710–20.
- Quality Matters: Performance Matters, The Commonwealth Fund, December 2005, Vol. 14.
- J. Mongan, A Tale of Two Health Systems, The Commonwealth Fund, October 2005.
Session 2—Aiming for the Best: Scorecard of U.S. Health Care System Performance
Carolyn M. Clancy, The Elements of Health Care Quality and Current Improvement Efforts
Stephen C. Schoenbaum, We Can Be the Best
Glenn D. Steele Jr., Aiming for the Best: Scorecard of U.S. Health Care System Performance
- C. Schoen and S. K. How, National Scorecard on U.S. Health System Performance: Complete Chartpack, The Commonwealth Fund, September 2006.
Session 3—State Coverage Innovations: Achievements and Tradeoffs
Stuart M. Butler, Federal–State Strategies for Insuring Workers
Jon Kingsdale, Key Elements of Massachusetts Health Care Reform
Diane Rowland, California Health Reform Proposal
James R. Tallon, Jr., Expanding Health Insurance Coverage
Alan Weil, Federalism and Health Coverage Innovations
- Governor Schwarzenegger's Health Care Proposal, January 2007.
- Quality Matters: Health Literacy, November/December 2006, The Commonwealth Fund, Vol. 21.
- S. Silow-Carroll and T. Alteras, States in Action: A Quarterly Look at Innovations in Health Policy, The Commonwealth Fund, Fall 2006, Vol. 6.
- S. B. Perlman and R. H. Dougherty, State Behavioral Health Innovations: Disseminating Promising Practices, The Commonwealth Fund, August 2006.
- S. Silow-Carroll and F. Pervez, States in Action: A Quarterly Look at Innovations in Health Policy, The Commonwealth Fund, Summer 2006, Vol. 5.
- S. Silow-Carroll and F. Pervez, States in Action: A Quarterly Look at Innovations in Health Policy, The Commonwealth Fund, Spring 2006, Vol. 4.
- H. Pelletier, How States Are Working with Physicians to Improve the Quality of Children's Health Care, National Academy for State Health Policy and The Commonwealth Fund, April 2006.
- D. Bergman, J. Hoadley, N. Kaye, J. Crowley, and M. Hostetter, Using Clinical Evidence to Manage Pharmacy Benefits: Experiences of Six States, The Commonwealth Fund, March 2006.
- K. Pollitz and E. Bangit, Federal Aid to State High-Risk Pools: Promoting Health Insurance Coverage or Providing Fiscal Relief?, The Commonwealth Fund, November 2005.
- J. Rosenthal and N. Kaye, State Approaches to Promoting Young Children's Healthy Mental Development: A Survey of Medicaid, Maternal and Child Health, and Mental Health Agencies, National Academy for State Health Policy and The Commonwealth Fund, November 2005.
- S. Shewry, Close-Up on California: A Look at the Medi-Cal Program, The Commonwealth Fund, October 2005.
- S. Glied and D. Gould, Variations in the Impact of Health Coverage Expansion Proposals Across States, Health Affairs Web Exclusive, W5-259–W5-271, June 7, 2005.
Session 4—The State Children's Health Insurance Program: Achievements and Opportunities for Improvement at Renewal
Debbie I. Chang, SCHIP: The First Decade
Jeanne Lambrew, Financing Issues in SCHIP
- S. Rosenbaum and A. Markus, The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005: An Overview of Key Medicaid Provisions and Their Implications for Early Childhood Development Services, The Commonwealth Fund, October 2006.
- L. Summer and C. Mann, Instability of Public Health Insurance Coverage for Children and Their Families: Causes, Consequences, and Remedies, The Commonwealth Fund, June 2006.
- S. Dorn and G. M. Kenney, Automatically Enrolling Eligible Children and Families Into Medicaid and SCHIP: Opportunities, Obstacles, and Options for Federal Policymakers, The Commonwealth Fund, June 2006.
- P. J. Chung, T. C. Lee, J. L. Morrison, and M. A. Schuster, Preventive Care for Children in the United States: Quality and Barriers, Annual Review of Public Health, April 2006 27:491–515.
- V. K. Smith, The Role of States in Improving Health and Health Care for Young Children, The Commonwealth Fund, July 2005.
Session 5—Making Care More Efficient: Promising Innovations and Options for Reinvesting Savings
Maureen Bisognano, Bipartisan Congressional Health Policy Conference
Lewis G. Sandy, Driving Quality and Affordability in a Consumer-Focused World
- Best Health Care Results for Populations (A Three-Part Aim), Institute for Healthcare Improvement, January 2007.
- Establishing the Business Case for Quality in Health Care, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, January 2007.
- G. R. Wilensky, Developing a Center for Comparative Effectiveness Information, Health Affairs Web Exclusive, November 7, 2006, w-572–w-585.
- Dartmouth Medical School Center for Evaluative Clinical Sciences, The Care of Patients with Severe Chronic Illnesses: The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care 2006, Executive Summary. Full report available at: http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/atlases/2006_Chronic_Care_Atlas.pdf.
- Institute of Medicine, Rewarding Provider Performance: Aligning Incentives in Medicare, Report Brief, September 2006. Full text of the report is available at http://www.nap.edu.
- American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation, Opinion Leader Perspectives on Health Care Efficiency, 2006.
- C. Sennett and D. Wolfson, Taming Health Care Inefficiency: Physicians and Others Explore Solutions - Report from the 2006 ABIM Foundation Summer Forum, American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation, September 2006.
- Quality Matters: Implementing Clinical Guidelines, The Commonwealth Fund, June 2006, Vol. 19.
- B. Sirovich, D. Gottlieb, G. Welch, E. Fischer, Regional Variation in Health Care Intensity and Physician Perceptions of Quality of Care, Annals of Internal Medicine, 2 May 2006, 144(9): 641-649.
- Quality Matters: Putting Engineering to Work in Health Care, The Commonwealth Fund, October 2005, Vol. 12.
- K. Baicker, A. Chandra, J. Skinner, J. E. Wennberg, Who You Are and Where You Live: How Race and Geography Affect the Treatment of Medicare Beneficiaries, Health Affairs Web Exclusive, October 7, 2004; 10.1377/hlthaff.var.33.
Session 6—Lessons from Abroad: International Efforts to Improve Quality, Reduce Costs, and Increase Transparency
Dr. Christof Veit, The Structured Dialog: National Quality Benchmarking in Germany
- K. Davis, Learning from High Performance Health Systems Around the Globe, Invited Testimony, Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Hearing, "Health Care for All Americans: Challenges and Opportunities," January 10, 2007.
- K. Davis, Figures: Learning from High Performance Health Systems Around the Globe, Invited Testimony, Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Hearing, "Health Care for All Americans: Challenges and Opportunities," January 10, 2007.
- J. Cylus and G. Anderson, Multinational Comparisons of Health Systems Data, 2006, The Commonwealth Fund, January 2007.
- C. Schoen, R. Osborn, P. Trang Huynh, M. Doty, J. Peugh, K. Zapert, On The Front Lines of Care: Primary Care Doctors' Office Systems, Experiences, and Views in Seven Countries, Health Affairs Web Exclusive, November 2, 2006: w555–w571.
- A. A. Kuo, M. Inkelas, D. S. Lotstein et al., Rethinking Well-Child Care in the United States: An International Comparison, Pediatrics, October 2006 118(4):1692–1702.
- G. F. Anderson, B. K. Frogner, R. A. Johns, U. E. Reinhardt, Health Care Spending and Use of Information Technology in OECD Countries, Health Affairs, May/June 2006 25(3):819-31.<?li>
- K. Davis, C. Schoen, S. C. Schoenbaum, A. J. Audet, M. M. Doty, A. L. Holmgren, and J. L. Kriss, Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: An Update on the Quality of American Health Care Through the Patient's Lens, The Commonwealth Fund, April 2006.
- B. K. Frogner and G. F. Anderson, Multinational Comparisons of Health Systems, The Commonwealth Fund, April 2006.
- S. G. Morgan, M. McMahon, C. Mitton et al., Centralized Drug Review Processes in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States, Health Affairs, March/April 2006 25(2):337–47.
- M. Exworthy, A. Bindman, H. T. O. Davies, and A. E. Washington, Evidence into Policy and Practice? Measuring the Progress of U.S. and U.K. Policies to Tackle Disparities and Inequalities in Health and Health Care, Milbank Quarterly, March 2006 84(1):75–109.
- C. Schoen, R. Osborn, P. T. Huynh, M. Doty, K. Zapert, J. Peugh, K. Davis, Taking the Pulse of Health Care Systems: Experiences of Patients with Health Problems in Six Countries, Health Affairs Web Exclusive, November 3, 2005 W5-509–W5-525.
Session 7—Enhancing Value in Medicare
Brian Biles, Enhancing Value in Medicare
Stuart Guterman, Enhancing Value in Medicare
Mark McClellan, Increasing Value in Medicare for '07
- M. Trisolini, G. Pope, J. Kautter, and J. Aggarwal, 80 Medicare Physician Group Practices: Innovations in Quality and Efficiency, The Commonwealth Fund, December 2006.
- B. Biles, L. Hersch Nicholas, B. S. Cooper, E. Adrion, and S. Guterman, "The Cost of Privatization: Extra Payments to Medicare Advantage Plans—Updated and Revised, The Commonwealth Fund, November 2006.
- Quality Matters: Pay-for-Performance in Medicare, September/October 2006, The Commonwealth Fund, Vol. 20.
- E. Heaton, T. Carino, and H. Dix, Assessing Medicare Prescription Drug Plans in Four States: Balancing Cost and Access, The Commonwealth Fund, August 2006.
- S. Guterman, Medicare Physician Payment: Are We Getting What We Pay For? Are We Paying for What We Want?, Invited Testimony, Energy and Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Health Hearing, "Medicare Physician Payment: How to Build a Payment System That Provides Quality, Efficient Care for Medicare Beneficiaries," July 25, 2006.
- K. Ignagni, Medicare Part D: A Successful Public–Private Partnership, The Commonwealth Fund, July 2006.
- J. Rother, The Medicare Modernization Act at Midyear, The Commonwealth Fund, July 2006.
- B. Biles, L. Hersch Nicholas, and S. Guterman, Medicare Beneficiary Out-of-Pocket Costs: Are Medicare Advantage Plans a Better Deal?, The Commonwealth Fund, May 2006.
- K. Davis and S. R. Collins, Medicare at Forty, Health Care Financing Review, Winter 2005–2006 27(2):53–62.
- B. Stuart, L. Simoni-Wastila, F. Baysac et al., Coverage and Use of Prescription Drugs in Nursing Homes: Implications for the Medicare Modernization Act, Medical Care, March 2006 44(3):243–249.
- S. Guterman, Specialty Hospitals: A Problem or a Symptom?, Health Affairs, January/February 2006 25(1):95–105.
- E. C. Schneider, A. M. Zaslavsky, and A. M. Epstein, Quality of Care in For-Profit and Not-for-Profit Health Plans Enrolling Medicare Beneficiaries, American Journal of Medicine, December 2005 118(12):1392–1400.
- J. E. Wennberg, Variation in Use of Medicare Services Among Regions and Selected Academic Medical Centers: Is More Better?, The Commonwealth Fund, December 2005.
- K. Davis, M. Moon, B. S. Cooper, and C. Schoen, Medicare Extra: A Comprehensive Benefit Option for Medicare Beneficiaries, Health Affairs Web Exclusive, October 4, 2005, W5-442–W5-454.
- S. Leatherman and D. McCarthy, Quality of Health Care for Medicare Beneficiaries: A Chartbook, The Commonwealth Fund, May 2005, Vol. 815.
- Quality Matters: Chronic Disease Management in Medicare, The Commonwealth Fund, June 2005, Volume 10.
Session 8—Public Reporting and Transparency
John M. Colmers, Public Reporting and Transparency
Margaret E. O'Kane, Advancing Health Care Quality in 2007 and Beyond
Christopher Queram, In Pursuit of "Value": The Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality
- A. S. Kesselheim, T. G. Ferris, and D. M. Studdert, Will Physician-Level Measures of Clinical Performance Be Used in Medical Malpractice Litigation?, Journal of the American Medical Association, April 19, 2006 295(15):1831–34.
- S. R. Collins and K. Davis, Transparency in Health Care: The Time Has Come, The Commonwealth Fund, March 15, 2006.
- Quality Matters: Public Reporting of Physician Group Quality Data, The Commonwealth Fund, February 2006, Vol. 16.
- Quality Matters: Evaluating Evidence for Quality Improvement, The Commonwealth Fund, January 2006, Vol. 15.
- Quality Matters: Physician Quality Measurement, The Commonwealth Fund, November 2005.
- A. K. Jha, Z. Li, E. J. Orav, et al., Care In U.S. Hospitals—The Hospital Quality Alliance Program, New England Journal of Medicine, July 21, 2005, 353 (3): 265–74.
- A. J. Audet, M. Doty, J. Shamasdin, and S. Schoenbaum, Measure, Learn, and Improve: Physicians' Involvement in Quality Improvement, Health Affairs, May/June 2005 24 (3): 843–53.
- The Midwest Business Group on Health, Finding Doctors in Chicago: A Project to Improve Online Physician Directories, The Commonwealth Fund, March 2005.
- National Committee for Quality Insurance, The State of Health Care Quality 2006: Industry Trends and Analysis.
Other Fund Publications
- A. L. Holmgren, K. Davis, S. Guterman, and B. Scholl, Health Care Opinion Leaders' Views on Priorities for the New Congress, The Commonwealth Fund, January 2007.
- Harris Interactive, The Commonwealth Fund Health Care Opinion Leaders Survey: Congressional Priorities, The Commonwealth Fund, January 2007.
- P. Fronstin and S. R. Collins, The 2nd Annual EBRI/Commonwealth Fund Consumerism in Health Care Survey, 2006: Early Experience With High-Deductible and Consumer-Driven Health Plans, The Commonwealth Fund, December 2006.
- S. R. Collins, J. L. Kriss, K. Davis, M. M. Doty, and A. L. Holmgren, Squeezed: Why Rising Exposure to Health Care Costs Threatens the Health and Financial Well-Being of American Families, The Commonwealth Fund, September 2006.
- A-M. J. Audet, K. Davis, S. C. Schoenbaum, Adoption of Patient-Centered Care Practices by Physicians, Archives of Internal Medicine, April 10, 2006 166(7):754–59.
- S. R. Collins, K. Davis, M. M. Doty, J. L. Kriss, and A. L. Holmgren, Gaps in Health Insurance: An All-American Problem, The Commonwealth Fund, April 2006.
- S. R. Collins, K. Davis, C. Schoen, M. M. Doty, and J. L. Kriss, Health Coverage for Aging Baby Boomers: Findings from the Commonwealth Fund Survey of Older Adults, The Commonwealth Fund, January 2006.
- A. Gauthier, M. P. Serber, A Need to Transform the U.S. Health Care System: Improving Access, Quality, and Efficiency, The Commonwealth Fund, October 2005.