The landscape of U.S. health care is constantly evolving, whether because of crises like the COVID-19 pandemic or longstanding challenges like the affordability of care. Federal and state policymakers are seeking solutions to help bring about a higher-performing health care system.
The Commonwealth Fund’s Federal and State Health Policy (FSHP) program aims to equip policymakers with the evidence they need to make informed policy decisions. To that end, FSHP anticipates and responds to emerging policy opportunities with research produced by Commonwealth Fund experts and grantees. Our focus is:
- Getting evidence-based insights and analysis in the hands of federal and state policymakers, policy influencers, and stakeholders.
- Disseminating and sharing lessons learned in policy and practice.
- Helping states learn from one other— and fostering dialogue between state and federal policymakers.
- Identifying the priorities of state and federal officials to inform the Commonwealth Fund’s programmatic strategies.
FSHP informs officials and staff through educational policy briefings and events, as well as written responses to policy proposals and requests for information. The program also maintains strategic partnerships with organizations that serve specific target audiences, such as state legislators, state health policy leaders, and Medicaid directors.
Rachel Nuzum, Senior Vice President
2023 Program Funding Priorities
- Building diverse, creative dissemination partnerships to connect Fund research with federal and state policymakers and staff
- Supporting the development and study of new models for meeting patients’ health-related social needs
- Building the power of communities to address social drivers of health through policy and systems change
- Informing policy efforts to stabilize and modernize the U.S. public health system