To apply for a grant from the Commonwealth Fund, please send us a letter of inquiry. We will contact you if we need more information, and will request full grant proposals in cases where there may be a fit with our programs’ funding priorities.
We will typically respond to your letter of inquiry within four to six weeks. Letters of inquiry are accepted on a rolling basis.
The Fund makes grants only to tax-exempt organizations and public agencies and does not support:
- General support, ongoing activities, or existing deficits
- Endowment or capital costs, including construction, renovation, or equipment
- Basic biomedical research
- Conferences, symposia, major media projects, or documentaries, unless they are an outgrowth of one of the Fund's programs
- Individuals or scholarships, outside of the Fund’s existing fellowship programs
- Churches or other religious organizations unless the project for which they seek funding is entirely secular in nature
Key resources for your application are available below. The budget template can be found here.