To apply for a grant from the Commonwealth Fund, please send us a letter of inquiry. We will contact you if we need more information, and will request full grant proposals in cases where there may be a fit with our programs’ funding priorities.
We will typically respond to your letter of inquiry within four to six weeks. Letters of inquiry are accepted on a rolling basis.
The Fund makes grants only to tax-exempt organizations and public agencies and does not support:
- General support, ongoing activities, or existing deficits
- Endowment or capital costs, including construction, renovation, or equipment
- Basic biomedical research
- Conferences, symposia, major media projects, or documentaries, unless they are an outgrowth of one of the Fund's programs
- Individuals or scholarships, outside of the Fund’s existing fellowship programs
- Churches or other religious organizations unless the project for which they seek funding is entirely secular in nature